Non-Profit Offering Debt Counselling & More.
Also a registered charity, we are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors that oversees our operations. They come with legal, financial, entrepreneurial and human resources backgrounds, well qualified to provide us with insight and advice to serve the needs of our community.
We are located in Thornhill ON, next door to Thornhill Community Centre. There is plenty of free parking and easy access to public transportation.
Our Mission & Mandate
Our mission is to enrich the quality of family life for anyone who lives or works in York Region. Accordingly, our mandate is to assist individuals and families to find appropriate solutions for their financial concerns through counselling, referral and education.
We operate on the following principles:
- Maintaining the dignity, integrity and confidentiality of each client;
- Having the client participate fully in the development and operation of her/his program;
- Recognizing the client’s basic physical and social needs;
- Recognizing the creditor’s civil and legal rights;
- Involving the community in planning, financing, management and evaluation of each service;
Services & Programs
We are a non profit offering debt counselling and more. Our services include:
- Debt Counselling and Management: We provide free services for individuals with debt problems, setting them up with debt counselling, debt reduction programs as well as financial literacy education to help them stay out of debt forever.
- Family Counselling and Mediation: Qualified therapists and mediators assist families and individuals in crisis cope with problems that often arise between couples, adults and teenagers as well as eldercare.
- Remediation Support: Referral-based services to assist individuals and youth charged with crimes to re-integrate into the community as productive individuals.
Our certified counsellors offer years of experience in credit counselling. We’ve administered more than $500 million in unsecured consumer debt over our 40 year history. Our team provides financial literacy advice to help you manage your household budget and your debt.
For individuals with more serious debt, we work closely with Licensed Insolvency Trustees. They are the only professionals authorized to administer regulated insolvency procedures under the Bankruptcy and Insolvencies Act. Their fees are federally regulated and we safeguard you from unscrupulous debt consultants who are ever-ready to step in to take advantage of your situation.
With our blended approach of financial expertise and social services, we bring a unique niche to the marketplace. We are a one-stop shop to help you manage many types of problems, ranging from financial management to marital strife to mental health.
Your privacy is very important to us. In general, you can visit this website and view the information without telling us who you are or providing any information about yourself.
Our agency collects and uses personal information of clients who participate in our credit counselling and/or debt management programs. We do this during telephone calls, personal interviews, e-mail and mail queries. We also collect information about clients referred to us at their request by other businesses, creditors, trustees, social agencies and other service organizations.
Why we collect your information
We collect personal information, such as your address, telephone number, email address, social insurance number and bank accounts for the following purposes:
- To open a file with this agency and provide you with credit counselling services;
- For communicating with creditors or their representative to confirm your identity as an individual doing business with them;
- To confirm your account information and verify outstanding balances with creditors;
- For referrals to businesses, services and social agencies for services we do not provide. At your request, we forward your financial and other details to these third parties.
Who Sees Your Information
Credit counsellors, designated office staff and personnel who administer credit counselling programs for this agency, as well as creditors who we enter into negotiations with on your behalf.
How Long We Keep Your Information
- Information about your debt repayment program is kept for 7 years from the date the file is closed;
- Information concerning the original application and details required for credit counselling are kept for 2 years from the date you provided the information to us.
Family & Credit Counselling Services is a non profit offering debt counselling and more in York Region.